Sunday, August 28, 2011

A Rubber Band Did That in 3 Weeks?

Let me start off by apologizing for the photography of the last two pictures. With Hurricane Irene ripping up the Florida coast bringing total mugginess with a heat index of 105 degrees with her, I just didn't have in me to set up a great background and wait for the light to be perfect. I had already polished one half of the goblet set and didn't want to wait to do the rest so I took some shortcuts. I was a bad blogger I know but I think I get the point across anyway.
Three short weeks ago I used 3 or 4 rubber bands to hold one of those silver plate wedding goblet sets where two halves nest into each other. I was out-of-state and the bride didn't like the goblet set. The pieces were held together with a wide band of shipping tape which I'd removed so I used a few rubber bands.

I unpacked it yesterday. An ugly ban of tarnish that formed underneath was substantial. Did I know better? Yes, but it would be for less than a month and I had no idea it would tarnish so quickly. This wasn't the patina-type tarnish. It was the kind that results in loss of plate, given enough time.



You can see where bands of silver destroying tarnish formed where the plate and latex touched. Left too long, this would have destroyed the plate. Luckily, I got to it in time and a little Maas Metal Polish took care of it. I had been thinking of using latex gloves to polish silverplate to protect my nails {they always look so bad after I polish} but there's no way I'd do that now.  


Here's the tarnish removed looking good as new : )

2 comments:

  1. I know every nook and cranny of Eustis. When I did pharmaceutical sales that was part of my territory. It was my favorite day of the week to head to Lake County,,,Nice people!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I live down the road in Tangerine : )

    ReplyDelete