Sunday, October 16, 2011

Day One of a Flea Market Booth: I've Got Lots to Do!

I got the keys to my new shop at Renninger's Flea Market in Mount Dora today.  Well, maybe not new but new to me. I plan to blog on my progress as this is new for me.

Previously I had a half booth at Treasure Cove in Eustis. It was a win-win situation for me. I got to buy stuff, decorate the booth and they sold it for me. I loved it. Then the owner of the building sold it and basically did all he could to get us out ASAP.  I guess he had a tenant who wanted the building before Christmas. Who knows?

My plans for the Christmas holiday season were in shambles. The whole reason I moved into Treasure Cove during the summer was to be ready for Christmas!

U-Haul of Eustis offered the vendors a free month of storage but Mr Vintage wanted to put it all in the garage because I promised I'd get it out and sold. He has a business relationship with Harris Storage and always rents trailers from them. Our house is two minutes down the road from them and it made sense. I see renting trailers to move all of this stuff in my future... We're parking outside until we can make sense of this mess.

I bought the booth from Dawn, owner of  Treasures of Then and Now, without seeing the inside. When I did see it, the walls were covered with ugly pink fabric.  I had no idea what was underneath. (There's a lesson in that, but I would have bought it anyway.) The important thing was that it had walls and lockable doors. My taste leans toward lighter, neutral colors for a shop (although my house has sophisticated purple walls, take my word for it : ) She hated it too but was so busy running her shops she didn't have time to do anything about it.

Mr Treasure (aka Craig) was wonderful. He took down the shelves and ugly pink fabric on the walls and thoughtfully made little repairs to the doors. I am blessed to have met these wonderful people and look forward to seeing their new boutique in Mount Dora exceed their expectations. They are fair business people and a pleasure to work with.


 Here's what was behind the pink fabric:






Reality set in when I saw the walls. Dawn and I speak on the phone a lot and she prepared me for the blue paint and lack of siding. You have to wonder about the aesthetic values of someone who built a booth combining electric blue, bright raspberry and white pegboard. On the positive side, I love the light coming in and they gave me a deal on the display case!

Today I looked at paint samples to paint the floor, picked up some drop cloths and some cream colored burlap. I drew out the floor plan and left. I'm wondering if I bit off more than I can chew.

At the same time, I know I can make this place work. I just hope I don't have to spend a king's ransom to do so. Somehow I think I can : )

Tomorrow the first order of the day is to get the carpet out, clean under it, find floor paint and paint the ugly blue on the walls. I think I have my work cut out for me.

Please join me in my adventure and share your insights!

No comments:

Post a Comment