Saturday, November 26, 2011

Another Fleamarket Saturday Down

I got the mirror today from another vendor
Once again, I've make it through another Saturday. I've learned so much about buying, pricing, and negotiating with customers in the last month. So far I've made my rent most days and thanks to the tutalege of Vinny, my neighbor in the booth across from mine, am reading about collectables and their values.

Some things about the flea market just can't be predicted. You don't always know what you should sell or for what price. One day customers ask about an item all day long and the next they ignore it. Pricing is another confusing area. Most people telegraph their joy unconsciously when you're offering them something priced too low. That's not something I want to do and sometimes I ask more than an item is worth to avoid making a mistake. Neither is a good strategy.

I started to diversify so my booth has some rather odd items. I have one deer antler, a red lieutentant fireman's helmet , and a vintage crystal dressing table perfume bottle with its stopper. Near a basket full of vintage linens is a 36" x 40" vintage mirror with a beveled edge.

I'm not really sure that this is my market. I'm making good contacts but as I get to know my typical buyer profile, I think I'll eventually end up at an antique mall. In the meantime, I'm having a lot of fun and getting experience that will serve me well regardless of what direction my path will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment