Sunday, February 26, 2012

Cycles of Life at the Flea



Running a flea market booth attunes one to rhythms of life that might otherwise be overlooked. For example, the best day for selling is when the first of the month falls on a Thursday, something I would have never known. Along those lines, the worst day to try to sell is either weekend day during the last weekend of the month.

Which is this weekend. Today was one of the days with lots of tire-kickers and fewer sales. I expected such and was out hunting down vintage broaches until the market picked up a bit toward 11 or so. I'm working on a project I'll unveil in month or so {when I get it done} using them so stay tuned.

There are other, more obvious, cycles as well. Since I do the Extravaganzas at Renningers on the antique side, I'm already thinking about the November event and collecting goodies to sell there. The usual cycle of life events, illnesses and recoveries affects flea market vendors too. Maybe in some ways it hits them a little harder for many are working without the safety net of insurance or a dependable income.

I suppose I'm venturing outside of the usual perimeters of thrift blogging but it's an issue I think about often. I am at the market by choice and as I get to know my fellow marketeers, I worry about them when things go wrong in their lives.

Enough of waxing poetic about the hidden side of the market. So, what are you working on? Do share!

2 comments:

  1. I am so enjoying your flea market insights. Yep, the more people we come into contact with the more we get involved in their lives. The problem of health insurance is everywhere with the recession. I was just at the dentist today with a broken tooth I can afford to have repaired. He was telling me about all the people putting off dental care and just pulling teeth because they can't afford to fix them...Sad! Can't wait to see your brooch project!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always so nice to hear your comments. Like you, I was in health care in the past and I guess it gets in the blood. Glad you got your problem fixed ; ). I've having a bit of a creative block but am trying to work past it on my project. You can bet I'll share it with you!

      Kitty

      Delete