Thursday, March 1, 2012

Taking Risks: It's all in a day's work


Tonight I'm wondering if I should fill out an application for the Fancy Flea in Lakeland at the end of April. I've ordered materials so I'll have stuff to sell if I go. But I'm holding back because it's out of my comfort zone. What if it rains? What if…?

Subtle design on cotton duckcloth pillow

I've been spoiled by doing Extravaganzas at Renningers in Mount Dora. Just four miles from my house, I can get Mr. Vintage to deliver lunch, help set my tent up and be available on call "just in case." Going to Lakeland by myself, an hour and a half away, to set up at 5:30 am seems so daunting. Can I do it? Of course. But do I want to?

Lots of my stuff is made with vintage stencils
So what am I really afraid of? I put my finger on it tonight. What if no one buys my stuff? I won't be hauling furniture if I go. I'll be taking my pillows and bags. I would bring a Hungarian baby bathtub. Everyone loves them but few want to pay.  Without big ticket stuff to sell, I'd be displaying my naked artistic soul to the world. 



My items are hand stenciled. Each is different. This show brings out a lot of commercial vendors with huge inventories. Will shoppers prefer the commercially made items over the one of a kinds?

I'll bring a Hungarian baby bathtub if I go
Finally figuring out the reason for my hesitation is freeing. Regardless of what choice I make, I know that sometimes you just have to go out on a limb. I don't know if the Fancy Flea will be the one or not. I'm committed to go to a show in Tennessee in the fall to share a booth with a friend. After all, sometimes you've just got to take a risk : )

9 comments:

  1. You won't know until you try. If anything, you will meet a lot of people, meet friends on Facebook, and get to see a lot of cool stuff. Bring Mr. Vintage along for company and to watch your booth so you can stroll the street and the sites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Denise. I would like to meet everyone on FB, but I know from doing Extravaganzas that most likely I'd be pretty tied up all day. I'm sending out feelers to see if anyone wants to share a space [I have a tent] and that would be much more workable. Mr Vintage isn't a morning person, at Renningers we do it the afternoon before. He brings me lunch after he finishes his breakfast, lol!

      Delete
  2. Oh go, I am going. This will be my first and maybe only show. It was something I have always wanted to do and with the vendor fee at $65 you can't lose. I went last November and it is all hand crafted I don't think there was any commercial vendors. This is all shabby crafters like you and me...Silly, of course you will sell stuff I am going with a girlfriend and we got 2 spaces. It's a great little town and if it rains we are not stuck with stuff, we are only out a mall amount of money and can still sell everything in our booths

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence Carol. Actually a friend's boyfriend wants to go and set up with me. He makes all kinds of cool stuff. I'm on my way to my e-mail account to reserve a space. Having not been before I was going on hearsay : )

      Delete
  3. Those decisions are tough. Where in TN are you thinking about?
    You left a comment about subscribing to my blog, but you are a no-reply comment blogger, so I didn't have an email address for you.

    http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=blogspot/PgMj




    Please follow that link up there to subscribe. Happy to have you aboard.

    gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail I did. I usually sub through feedburner links on the page. It's pretty easy to put on your page. Love your blog btw : )

      Delete
    2. A friend as asked me to go to Bella Rustica. There is a link on the right side of my page.

      Delete
  4. Yes, that is an early start but the fee to enter is so good and the show attracts so many people now. I hope you go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki. I told a fellow artist about the show and he wants to share a booth. He has furniture and I'll bring my pillows and bags. I need to submit an application. Do you know how many years this show has been held? I thought it was just the second year.

      Delete