Monday, May 14, 2012

Gallery Glass Vintage Window

I pulled this out to snap a pic because a customer at Renningers is looking for something to hang on a problem wall. I told her about this piece and she asked me to post it on Facebook. Since people *liked* it, I decided to explain how I made it. Because I'm a teacher and do "tutorials" all day long, I don't tend to do many in Blogland.


I love this piece but am ready to let it go because I have to "hide" it behind a bookcase to stop the cats from knocking it over. [I'm a "let it lean" kind of decorator.] In my pre-cat life, it had a place of honor in the living room. 

I started off with a vintage window complete with glass that had fabulous bones. You can barely see it, but there was some inventory type writing on the upper left. I left it there. Because the paint is leaded and was chippy and shedding paint dust, I sealed it with a thin layer of Modge Podge matte finish glue. The only other products I used were from Plaid Enterprises Gallery Glass line.

Inspired by a painting project I'd seen, I laid out a pattern that suggested a bird's nest in a tree. With the pattern under my glass, I used Readi-Lead to outline the lines of my pattern. I adapted the pattern to occupy a visually pleasing area of the glass. Once that was done, I covered all of the glass with a mixture of Crystal Clear and Snow White Gallery Glass Window Color. I purposefully created a texture to block some light. 

I love making this type of project. Usually I go for more of a stained glass look. In this case, I like the way the design "floats." I have an old door with a window I plan to work on, maybe this summer. By the way, this stuff lasts. I've kept mine inside for at least 15 years and it's still looks like it did the day I made it.

I was not compensated for this post. I am simply sharing an enjoyable project. 




5 comments:

  1. Wow, I would love to know more about this. I don't know what Redi lead is? It sure is gorgeous!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Redi lead is a self adhesive black strip that is a flexible matte plastic color. You put a pattern under the glass and follow it using the redi lead. Usually it's used as stained glass lead to create compartments for the liquid gallery glass. In this case I was thinking outside the box and used only one color so I didn't feel the need to do that. You can also use a liquid black for the "lead" but the redi lead is a much better look in my opinion. It is made by Plaid, the maker of gallery glass products. I'm adding a link I found when I googled gallery glass. I generally buy it at JoAnn's. Apparently the old pattern books are no longer available but you're creative and that wouldn't be a problem for you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, Carol but the link didn't work and I removed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a piece to be treasured for sure! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for sharing this post. Now following.

    Holly
    Holly's Stamping Addiction

    ReplyDelete