Monday, May 7, 2012

Garden Sign [in English this Time]

Inspired by The Polka Dot Closet's post on what sold and what didn't at the Fancy Flea, I wondering why my French "Jardin" sign didn't sell. It didn't even get a nibble. I sold nearly all of my other signs but they were in English and none were in "unreadable"French.


None of the other signs were grey either. Maybe it was a bit too "European elegance" for the show? I was thinking a nice mantle backdrop on garden-inspired mudroom. Hmm, maybe Floridians don't have mantles or mudrooms. Is it too big?

I decided to paint another sign on the back for a 2 for 1 message that can be changed. It's a nice size, at 9 1/4" by 40," it makes a nice statement. Maybe distressed white on black will do the trick. I used gesso instead of paint [a nod to Villa Barnes, she uses gesso on everything.]


Maybe they only like the signs on old reclaimed wood? This wood is reclaimed but isn't really aged. Maybe it's too big? It can't be the price, a very reasonable $10.

I'm taking it off to the shop and can't wait to see the reaction of onlookers. I kind it like it myself. Please leave feedback as to why the first sign didn't resonate with shoppers. [Or the second sign as well.] I'm a big girl and can take your observations. [Hey, I teach high school and all of my students know everything anyway so I'm used to it.] I enjoyed making it and I want it to find a good "forever" home.



9 comments:

  1. Love it...very very cute. Thanks for sharing your inspiration with the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like it----I think it's pretty! People are crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both versions. Let's hope it sells. My fingers are crossed for you ...

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Followed over from the Newbie Party. 1)I am a retired middle school teacher so you know I spent 24 years never doing anything right! 2)My new profession is reselling at an antique mall - crafts, vintage, decor, etc. 3)I do paint and distress signs in FRENCH and they sell well. 4)I love your signs - especially since this one is two-sided, but I would sell it for at least $18. One thing I have learned is people think price = value. Don't sell yourself cheap! 5) I cannot tell from the photo, but did you sand it and put an antique glaze on it? 6)There is absolutely nothing wrong with your sign!
    Hope you enjoyed this critique!

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna and thank you. All of my other signs are on aged wood. This wood is reclaimed and was already sanded. I was thinking $20 for the sign and when it got no interest I decided to do the other side as a test. Yes, I put a finish on it and I'll raise the price because I'm thinking the same as you. The other signs just flew out of my booth [even the ones I didn't think would sell] so I was surprised when so one even looked at it. I'm on my way over to your page : )

      Delete
  5. Oh if only we could figure out what does and doesn't sell it sure would make this selling of ours easier! Your sign looks great, just not the right customer. I did end up selling one of wedding dresses to a lady in New Zealand who saw the post about what did not sell...So, there ya go

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both sides of the sign, maybe it just wanted to stay with you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

      Delete