Monday, February 18, 2013

Dress Form Mania

I guess I got a little carried away with dress forms this week. I blame it all on the Polka Dot Closet's Dress Form Ball that's coming up. You see, Carol came up with this linky party idea last year where everyone dresses up or alters a dress form and links their blog posts featuring their special "girl." It was a huge success.

This is the girl I sent to the ball last year
I got a lot of 10 dress forms this weekend from someone with a warehouse in Miami. They are store quality dress forms made for heavy duty usage.  One is unusual being only half a torso. They are harder to find so I'm keeping that one to alter.


I sold 3, am keeping the short one and that leaves six still in my truck. They come without stands [I like to set them on stools anyway] and are in assorted sizes. The sizes are not marked. They are covered in a Jersey netting material and I'm told they are fiberglass underneath although I didn't take one apart. They are perfect to alter with decoupage or to age using the Polka Dot Closet method.

They plan to use their dress form for altering jackets
I'm pricing them to go at $49.00. I didn't know until this weekend how many people look for dress forms in their size. I think of dress forms as something to display or alter. Silly me.

I'm taking them to Adjectives Market this week. I may need to put some in storage as my booth is tiny and replenish the stock until they are gone.

If you get a form from me and alter or display it, I'd love to have a photo posted on my Facebook page.


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! What a find, I do actually use mine for sewing, it is so helpful for pinning hems and seeing how clothes hang properly

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise Carol that I will learn how to sew one of these days! Then I can really use a dress form!

      Delete
  2. I've looked around for the right dress form because I sew a lot and when you sew for yourself, you can't try clothes and adjust them at the same time. But I found a link that shows how to make one from your own body with duct tape! And I guess that is what I'll have to do. But now I plan to dress it up real nice. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne, I've seen tutorials on that and it seems like a great way to get a perfect fit!

      Delete
  3. So do you have any dress forms now? I have been keeping an eye out for one.

    Thanks for your info!
    Cheri
    Curtain Lady Design

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking Cheri. I sold one tonight and have one at Adjectives Market in Altamonte Springs. I also have some vintage ones.

      Delete
    2. Ok, I am not in your area- do you have them on Etsy or your website?
      If so, I would like the link.
      Thanks~
      Cheri

      Delete
    3. Cheri, I would need to know your zip code to figure out shipping ~ Kitty

      Delete