Sunday, March 3, 2013

How to Remove the Smell From Burlap


As with many natural materials, burlap may have a smell. I use a lot of food grade burlap that comes with a protective sizing on the fabric. I've found that washing it will frequently remove any odor. Because I don't use really smelly bags stored in old barns and whatnot, I'm not an expert in getting moldy smells out. But I can handle the everyday smells that come my way.
  1. Air the burlap out in the sun. That may be all it needs. If that's not enough move to step 2.
  2. Wash it following the directions on this link. If that doesn't work move to step 3.
  3. Shake some baking soda on it and let it sit overnight. Shake out. If that doesn't do the trick, move to step 4.
  4. Soak in a detergent and vinegar solution for an hour. Rinse well and spread out to dry.
  5. If that doesn't do the trick, try soaking in a solution of waters and Nature's Miracle, a product used to remove pet stains and smell. 
  6. If you need to pull out bigger guns, try using a weak solution of bleach keeping in mind it will weaken the fibers if too much is used.
  7.  If it still smells, it's time to compost the burlap or pull out the big guns. 
  8. I haven't used Allersearch AllerMold Odor Controller,  but it's worth a try if the smell is really bad. 
  9. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment