Monday, August 5, 2013

August 7th is Purple Heart Day


I decided to make a purple heart in honor of my father's service during the Korean War when he was shot before I was born. The Purple Heart is a medal given to soldiers when they are wounded or killed in a conflict. It is a beautiful medal although I don't recall my father showing his to me. I saw it for the first time after his funeral. 

I painted a paper mache heart with purple paint and attached a "thank you" note before attaching a washi tape "band-aid" and attaching a glass crystal. I left it simple and spare because that's what fits. 

I've decided to put it in my booth at Adjectives Market so someone can share it with a loved one or to bring them comfort. It is a personal piece but I have a tendency to gift or sell personal pieces. Making it was therapeutic for me and now it's time for it to go to someone else. 

If this post inspires anyone to make their own version, I'd love to see it. 

xoxo Kitty

2 comments: