Friday, November 1, 2013

When Paying a Little More is a Good Idea


Ever wonder why I charge a little more for my burlap bags than some vendors? What if I told you that some vendors get free coffee bags after they were recycled for hauling oysters? Don't get me wrong, I think recycling is a good idea for most things including coffee bags. But after they've been used for seafood, I don't want to see them to people using them for crafts and upholstery, even if they've been "washed."

Check out the condition of any bags you buy. If they seem too worn for one use, try the sniff test. An odor of bleach or a "fishy" smell suggest bags that might have bacterial contamination from seafood. As  a licensed nurse, I can't bring myself to sell bags used for seafood. 

Just in case you're wondering, I buy my bags for several sources, all of whom are coffee roasters or associated with them. Whenever possible, I buy from small custom coffee roasters and do my small part to support small businesses. To the best of my knowledge, all of my bags are food safe. I know my vendors and have established relationships with them. 

If you're in doubt about the source of a bag, just ask. While a dealer will not reveal the exact source, they should have some idea of the prior use of a bag. Then decide if a "deal" is worth it to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment